Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Fruit Leather

This was so easy and fun to do!


Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Take a jar of jam and spread it out evenly over the paper.  Bake overnight at 170 for 10 - 15 hours.  This batch took 15 hours.  I think my oven automatically shuts off after 12 hours though because I had to turn it back on.  Let the fruit leather cool and cut into pieces.  Because I don't think this batch was completely dry, I'm storing it in the fridge.

Tip:  Roll up the fruit leather with the parchment paper and cut through it to make fruit roll ups!

Experiment with different flavors of jam and see which one you like best.  The one I used was a bit too sweet.


We also did this with a jar of organic unsweetened applesauce and it turned out wonderfully.  Spread the applesauce on thick, you can see mine was a little too thin and cracked.  It still peeled off of the paper easily and tasted great.  It only took 10 hours to cook.


If you read my post yesterday you saw that I cut Lucy's name out of fruit leather.  I've seen fruit leather used for various details in bento lunches, cut into cute shapes, and more.  It can be expensive to buy, or have unhealthy additives, so I'm glad this easy recipe worked so well.  Of course you can also make your own jam or applesauce for the recipe too.  Laura at Heavenly Homemakers made peach fruit leather without even cooking the peaches down at all.  Fun stuff!  Let me know if you try this and how it turns out.  :)

linked to Kitchen Tip Tuesdays

Find more healthy recipes here: Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog! This is a great tutorial. I had no idea fruit leather was so easy! I'm bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just use fruit puree... that cuts out all that extra sugar and preservatives from using a jam. And really simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! I recently bought Bento-Style lunch boxes for my kids (www.goodbyn.com) and was looking for some healthy and inexpensive items for at-school lunches! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Get outta here!?! Okay, really--don't! That is SO neat! :) I am going to bookmark this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipe....didn't realize this was this easy to make ....can't wait to make it.....

    ReplyDelete