Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Boo Boos and Bibs



Flexible plastic is one of the worst types out there- pthalates, lead, and all kinds of other toxins are added in order to keep it flexible.  After reading this article on how nasty PVC/ Vinyl is, I decided to replace our bibs.  I simply traced a large bib that I liked and made a pattern.  Placing two pieces of cotton right sides together, I sewed around the edges leaving an opening on one side.  After clipping the seams and turning the bib right side out, I topstitched the whole thing being sure to catch the opening and sew it closed.  I have this snap setter that I got at Field's and used it to put a snap on (no more velcro chains in the wash!).  If my short description doesn't make sense I can post a photo tutorial next time I make a bib, just let me know.  I've been very happy with these bibs, they are thin and fold up nicely to tuck in the diaper bag and I haven't had any trouble with them leaking through onto my girl's shirts.  I love eliminating plastic and my girls love their homemade bibs!  Lucy just asked my for an Elmo bib, so I'll have to check for Elmo fabric next time I'm at the store.  

The other item in the photo is a boo-boo bag.  I had a re-usable ice pack that we kept in the freezer for bumps and bruises until it started to leak and I realized it was made of yucky flexible plastic and goodness knows what was inside of it.  I sewed a small bag out of cotton and filled it about 3/4 full with rice.  I keep it in the freezer in a ziploc bag and my girls love that Dora and Boots can help their bumps and bruises feel better.  This could also be put in the microwave and used as a heat pack.  Another easy way to get toxins out of my home!

No comments:

Post a Comment