Friday, July 23, 2010

Homemade Tortillas

I've been experimenting with my grain mill lately and made some yummy tortillas.  In the past, we tried whole wheat tortillas from the store and didn't like them.  With my grain mill, I'm able to grind Kamut, spelt, hard white wheat, and more for different flavors and nutrition.  I love Kamut for tortillas!  It has a light flavor, almost like a cross between a corn tortilla and a white flour tortilla.  Julia has so far refused to eat tortillas, but gave these a try and liked them.  Here is the recipe:

2 cups flour - I prefer Kamut flour, but 1 cup Kamut and 1 cup hard white wheat works also.
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
1/2 cup lukewarm water

Mix flour, salt, and baking powder.  Add oil and mix until it forms pea sized balls.  Add lukewarm water, until dough is soft and pliable.  On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth, 1-2 minutes. 


Place in bowl, cover and let rest 30 minutes.  The dough does not rise, but this gives time for the flour to soak up the water so the dough is not too crumbly.



Knead dough again just for a minute and form 8-10 balls.  (Yes, this is only five, the other three are already rolled out.)  ;)


Roll out as thin and round as possible.  Made with all Kamut flour, they are actually very easy to roll out.


Preheat a cast iron frying pan (ungreased) and cook one at a time.   Flip it over once bubbles start to form.  This only takes about a minute - in the photo above, the tortilla is ready to be flipped.  The second side usually cooks even faster, so keep an eye on it.


Stack the finished tortillas on a plate and cover them with another plate to keep them soft.  Cook some chicken, green pepper, and onion with seasonings and you have a tasty meal!  

Find more healthy recipes here: Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade

11 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a tortilla recipe. We get the uncooked ones from costco because they're the only ones I've found that don't taste like plastic. (I got spoiled by my dad's homemade tortillas when I was younger and he won't make them anymore now that he's found the costco ones). But I'd like a more nutritious alternative. I'll be giving these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should get a tortilla press too :) The heavy non-metal looking ones are the best. I got mine for $15 at the supermarket. SOOO much easier and faster than rolling them out. We too get the uncooked ones from Costco and I made our own Corn ones. But I'd love to give these a try! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I'm going to get some kamut and give these a try! I ordered a bunch of the Ezekiel tortillas through our food buying club and we don't like them at all. Have you experimented with coconut oil in this recipe at all? We don't use vegetable oil, but I wouldn't think it'd make too much of a taste difference. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Courtney, I used a nonGMO soybean oil that is made here locally. I didn't think to try coconut oil but that sounds like a great choice too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Christy-

    Thanks for this tutorial. I made them tonight and they turned out perfectly. All 5 kids loved them...and my hubby, too. Yay! THAT is a success. They sure don't need to cook long if you roll them thin! And they are really easy to make.
    ~Monica

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting this. I have been looking for a recipe for these for ages. I love tortias but I hate that store bought ones are full of (unnecesary) preservatives.
    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made these today and they were wonderful. Used coconut oil for the vege oil. I was surprised at how easy they were to roll out and cook as my previous tortilla-making adventures didn't go as well. Thank you for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a cast iron skillet, could I make these on a regular skillet. Maybe a griddle?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Um, yes? Sorry, I don't know how many calories are in these! :)

      Delete