Friday, November 2, 2012

Easy Gluten Free Bread

I can hardly believe that I've survived six months of being gluten free and dairy free.  Up until the day that I started, I never thought it was something I would be able to do.  We've struggled to figure things out along the way, but so far it has been doable.  A friend recently shared her gluten free bread recipe with me.  I changed it just a bit, and have been making it regularly.  After searching hard for a good easy recipe I was thrilled to get this one!



2 1/2 tsp yeast
1 cup brown rice flour
1 cup sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch/ potato starch*
3 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
2 eggs

1 1/4 cup warm water (Heat to between 100-110 degrees.)

*Use a mix of the two starches.  Lately I've been using 3/4 cup potato starch and 1/4 cup tapioca starch.

Place ingredients in bread machine in order given, with yeast being on the bottom.  Turn bread machine on and slowly pour in warm water.  Use a spatula and scrape down the sides, helping the machine mix for a minute or two.  Close the lid and let the machine do its work.  :)

Gluten free bread dough is more sticky and wet than a typical yeast dough.  It does not require as much mixing or baking time, so usually a rapid bake setting works best.  I use a setting called "Basic Light".

I love how easy this recipe is.  It uses minimal measuring utensils, and comes together quickly.  This is the basic sandwich bread that we keep on hand.  To save even more time, you can put together baggies of the brown rice flour, sorghum, starches, xanthan gum, and salt.  

Do you have a favorite gluten free recipe?  I bet this would make a good cinnamon swirl bread or other variation.  Let me know if you give it a try!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! Do you know if this recipe will work in a Kitchenaid mixed and regular oven?

    If I may ask, what prompted you to go GFDF? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shannon, I think it should! I'm just not sure how long you would bake it for. Just keep an eye on it? I have toyed with the idea of going GF for my oldest daughter for quite some time now. She had frequent tummy aches, and constipation (encopresis). We ended up just really needing to try it with her. I am GF/DF because of nursing Isaac, he was getting super fussy and refluxy, etc. Right now its just me and Lucy, but I'm considering trying it with Esther and Julia now that I have a good easy bread recipe.

      Delete
    2. Christy, thank you for replying! That makes sense. I was just curious. It seems a lot of people are going GFDF, especially GF. I will give this recipe a try sometime soon! I enjoy all of your recipes that I have tried! We had the soaked baked oatmeal last week. Great!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing your bread with us the other day! It was really yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun to have visitors! Thanks for the chicken salad and the plant. :)

      Delete
  3. Hi could you please tell me which bread machine you have,
    I have a gluten free setting on mine which is for 1hr 55minutes.
    My basic light setting is 4 hours . Which do you recommend thanks

    ReplyDelete