Thursday, January 12, 2012

Book Review: The Nature Connection



The Nature Connection by Clare Walker Leslie is absolutely the best nature study book for children that I have ever come across!  I love the idea of nature study, but am always a bit unsure about how to begin.  Winter usually ends up stopping my plans short anyway.

After paging through The Nature Connection, I am extremely impressed.  The book makes nature study completely doable, with easy assignments and even space to do them in.  It also includes a TON of information (in easy to read bites) about nature, things you might see, sketches and good-to-know tidbits.  I'm amazed at all of the information included.  This book could very well serve as a homeschool science textbook for an entire year.  One of the best parts of the book is that it goes monthly through the year.  The assignments and information are relative to the particular month (even winter!).

I haven't decided if I am going to have Lucy write directly in the book, or in a nature journal.  There is actually a link provided in the book that you can go to and print off extra pages to write on.  At $10 on Amazon, this is a book that every homeschool or nature loving household should own!

Can you tell I'm impressed with this book?  :)  We received it for review, but the opinions are all my own.  :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for recommendation. I'm always looking for a good nature study reco. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks perfect for us, I just ordered it, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks cool! What ages is it geared toward?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Amazon description says ages 8 and up, but I think this book is extremely versatile. My six year old would be able to do this, and it looks fun to me too, so really any age. :) The drawings and observations would be different depending on skill level, but I can see it being used for many ages, and probably used over and over again.

      Delete