Saturday, October 2, 2010

Homemade Popcorn

My Grandpa is absolutely the best popcorn maker around.  Its a big family tradition that Grandpa makes popcorn whenever we get together.  He's been doing it for years and has it perfected to an art.  My mom also inherited the popcorn loving gene and reminded me of that when she was here for a visit.  We took some photos so I could make a popcorn tutorial for you all.


Pour some oil in a pan, just enough to cover the bottom.  Non-GMO soybean oil, olive oil, or grape seed oil are good choices.  Add popcorn, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan again.  Shake some popcorn salt over the top.

I buy organic popcorn because corn is such a highly genetically modified crop.  Organic = non GMO.  White popcorn produces less hulls and has the best taste according to my popcorn loving mom and grandpa.

Cover your pan and set the heat to medium.  You do not need to shake the pan, just wait until the popping is done.  If you put too much popcorn in, your lid might even lift right up.  (Be sure to clean your stove first if you plan to take a photo for your blog.  Just sayin.)


Dump your hot popcorn into a bowl.  Return the pan to the burner and melt about 1/3 of a stick of butter along with three or so big shakes of popcorn salt.  Popcorn salt is finely ground salt, it sticks to the popcorn better, giving a better flavor and allowing you to use a bit less.  Once your butter is melted, pour it slowly over the popcorn.  Use a spatula or spoon to stir the popcorn as you pour so that the butter is evenly distributed.


My mother-in-law ate this with us recently and said it was the best popcorn she has had in years!  Try it and let me know what you think.

Find more healthy recipes here: Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade

8 comments:

  1. Ohh. Sounds wonderful to me!! lol lol....Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make popcorn just like that, but I just use regular salt. I really should buy popcorn salt. I love popcorn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... we LOVE popcorn. We grew our own this year, that was fun. I've never made it on the stove though, I had no idea it was so easy! We have a Stir Crazy and that works quite well, but it's a pain to clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, how fun to grow your own popcorn!

    Mom, I knew this would make you want popcorn! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love homemade popcorn, too! Microwaved tastes gross to me now. My favorite thing to add is chocolate chips for a sweet/salty snack. Add them while it's still warm so they'll melt. Mmmm...tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mmmmm...I will have to try this. Instant is just easy when I need something NOW to eat so I don't get sick. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom and I make popcorn like this sometimes but it always burns. I am getting ready to purchase one of those pots with the cover and you crank the handle while it stirs your popcorn.

    ReplyDelete