Saturday, October 9, 2010

Homemade Ginger Ale

We've been enjoying homemade ginger ale lately.  It has a great fresh taste, and is all natural!

This is a ginger root.  You can buy it in the produce section of the grocery store.  I found mine hidden on an end cap near the zucchini and green beans.


Peel and chop the ginger into chunks.

In a saucepan, add chopped ginger, 1 cup water, and 1 to 1 1/4 cups cane sugar depending on how sweet you want the soda to be.  Cook on medium heat 5-10 minutes until sugar is melted.  Turn off the heat and let sit for 30 minutes.


Strain out the ginger pieces and throw them away.  Pour your ginger syrup into a jar and store in the refrigerator.  We use a glass canning jar with a white plastic lid.


To make a glass of ginger ale, pour 3 Tablespoons of the syrup into a cup.  Fill with club soda or carbonated water.  (We use our SodaStream home soda machine to make the carbonated water.)  You can also squeeze about 1/4 of a lime into the glass for added flavor.  

Enjoy!

Find more healthy recipes here: Heavenly Homemakers Recipe Parade

5 comments:

  1. that sounds yummy! I love ginger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never thought of making my own ginger ale. Do you suppose it could be made with Truvia instead of the cane sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lady V- I'm not sure about the Truvia. I have never used it, but I looked on their website and they do have a conversion chart. I'm not sure how well it would make the syrup since you use less of it... give it a try though, let me know what you find out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're going to have to try this! travis has a CO2 tank in the garage he uses to make carbonated water :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE ginger ale and am so excited to try this!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete