Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Tip: Dicing An Onion

Everything I do lately has me thinking "I could post that on my blog!" I'm having fun with this and hope you are too. Today I'm sharing my tip for dicing an onion. A friend shared this with me and I've done it this way ever since because its so easy.


Peel your onion. Start by making slices a little more than 3/4 of the way down into the onion (but don't cut all the way through). Make your slices about 1/2 inch apart, all the way across the onion.


Turn the onion and make cuts the opposite way, being sure not to slice completely through the onion.

Now you can turn your onion on its side and slice again. You'll have nicely sized little pieces.

Once you get down to the last part that doesn't have slices, its easy enough to just lay it on the flat side and chop it up. If you don't need the whole onion you can simply store the rest in the fridge. I usually cut the whole thing up and freeze what I don't need.

There are several tricks to reducing eye irritation while chopping onions- rinse the onion in cold water, chill it in the fridge or freezer for 30 minutes before chopping, or cut the root end last (it contains the highest concentration of sulfuric compounds). I've also heard that burning a candle nearby helps. If all else fails, wear goggles and tell your kids that you are super-mom!

Onions should be stored in a cool dry place, not in the refrigerator. Keep them well ventilated (not in a plastic bag) and away from potatoes - the ethelyne gas will cause them to spoil faster. Chopped or sliced onions can be kept in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to seven days.

Onions contain quercetin, a flavonoid that helps protect against cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataracts, and more. Onions have also been linked to lowering blood pressure and cholesterol.
They are a good source of vitamin C, potassium, fiber, folic acid, calcium, and iron.

All about onions.

It works for me!

6 comments:

  1. Cool. I always wondered how to do that. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Thanks for this post... only, do you mind if I ask why not keep them in the fridge? What does refrigeration do to onions?

    Thanks again for this tip,

    Amy Ellen at HealthBeginsWithMom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy- I got my info from the National Onion Association and that's what they recommend. I think its because there is too much moisture and not enough air circulation and they just go bad faster. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA!! I wore goggles the last time I chopped onions. The kids thought it was hilarious!

    I'll have to try your tip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's another kitchen tip if you like: with saran wrap, aluminum foil and all those others, look on the sides of the boxes. There is a little tab on each side that you're supposed to push in to hold the tube in place. No more of the tube popping out as you try to unroll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kori, thanks! I love tips like that.

    ReplyDelete