Tuesday, July 10, 2012

How To Tell When Beans Are Cooked

We eat beans and rice frequently around here.  They are cheap, filling, and a meal we really enjoy.  I cook beans from dry in my crockpot, and usually tend to overcook them.  The other day a friend told me a tip for how to tell when they are done cooking.


Take a spoonful of beans out of the pot and blow on them.  If the skins wrinkle and start to peel, they are done.  Magic!  I've used this tip successfully for a while now, each time thinking: "Why didn't I know this earlier?"  So there, now you know.  Or was I the only one who didn't know this handy tip?

See Tammy's Recipes for more Kitchen Tip Tuesdays.

4 comments:

  1. I did not know this... Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I learned this first from reading the 'Little House' books. I think it was in 'The Long Winter'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know this. I just taste one and if it's mushy enough I consider them done. I cook mine in the slow cooker so it's at least 8 hours on low. Think I'll test them this way next time I cook. :-)

    ReplyDelete