As you might already know, I'm an obsessive list maker. I always have a notebook handy with several lists going at once: grocery lists, Christmas gift ideas, blog post ideas, things on my to do list, crafts to make, and so on. Of course I've had my "Baby Shopping" list going for quite some time now, and I'm sure I will still add to it.
There are plenty of baby gadgets that we've had over the years and have gotten rid of. Our house is small and our path of natural living and attachment parenting has led us toward less stuff. Maybe I'll write that post later; "Things Baby Doesn't Need". Of course needs and wants are all individual, so everyone's list would be a little different. I am also a big believer in purchasing quality items that will last, as well as researching the heck out of everything I purchase.
- car seat: I had a Graco infant seat that all three girls used, but it is expired now. Looking at safety ratings along with toxicity ratings, I think we'll get a Chicco Keyfit 30 in Cubes or Limonata.
- swing: I just bought this one on Craigslist: Bright Starts Cotton Tale Portable Swing We've had various swings in the past and got rid of them because they were too big or some other reason. I really liked having a small portable swing for Esther, and this one looks plush and cozy. I will probably get rid of the bouncy seat that we have and just use this.
- rocking chair: I am still searching Craigslist for a good rocking recliner or glider. Ours is terribly loud and would never soothe a baby to sleep! We do have an exercise ball that is great for bouncing a baby to sleep on.
- sling: I am thinking of getting this sling. I've tried many different carriers and a ring sling is my favorite for newborns. The one I currently have is too long for me and has very heavy rings on it. With having three other little ones to chase, I figure a good sling is pretty important!
- Bravado bra: This one is my favorite style. I want the pink ice color, just because. :)
- Undercover Mama: and I need a pink one of these.
- diaper bag: I'm drooling over these, especially the Madi bag. My current diaper bag is a bit too small for four kids and baby in cloth diapers, so I'll need something bigger like this.
- nursing pillow: A Boppy did not work for me at all. I just came across this pillow though and it looks interesting. I'd love to try it out.
- bath seat: We didn't use a baby bath tub at all for Esther. I'm sure we could get by without one again, but it was rather hard to hang on to her and took both Ross and I to give her a bath. This bath seat looks like its a good size (not too big), and is made of "safe" plastic in the USA. The price isn't bad either.
- growth chart: Once we know baby's gender (after the birth!), we will get one of these growth charts. The girls each have their own. I sometimes forget to use them, but they are cute and will make fun keepsakes for the kids.
If we have a boy, we'll need clothes! and a soft plushy blanket (not pink!).
Ok, so these aren't really needs, aside from the car seat. This list also doesn't include the things that we already have and love (my washable breast pads, aden + anais swaddling blankets, Earth Mama Angel Baby stuff...). But that's another list.... maybe tomorrow.