Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Book Review: Secure Daughters Confident Sons


Secure Daughters Confident Sons: How Parents Guide Their Children into Authentic Masculinity and Femininity interested me.  I mean, who doesn't want to raise secure daughters and confident sons?  However, I didn't really find the book to be as "eye-opening" as the back cover claims.

Part 1 discusses "A Clear Vision For Authentic Manhood and Womanhood".  Although the book is written from a Christian perspective, I found it to contain many generalizations like "men think this way" and "women usually do this" rather than looking at what the Bible says men and women should be like.  I do think that it is valuable to think about what qualities I hope to instill in my children by the time they are grown, to think about what I am aiming for in a sense.  I just did not really care for the way the book went about it.

Part 2 is titled "Why Boys and Girls Need Mothers and Fathers".  Again, not very eye-opening.  The information in this section is pretty basic and did not really keep my interest.  Sorry, but I was just not impressed with this book.

I received a copy of this book for review from Waterbrook Multnomah Publishers.  They obviously did not pay me to write this.  ;)

3 comments:

  1. I saw the title of the book and was interested, but I'm glad I read your review. Have you read "loving your child is not enough, positive discipline that works"? I just recently finished it, and was wondering if you had read it, as I would like you opinion on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I haven't seen that one, I'll have to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one I loved is by Ted Tripp, Shepherding a Child's Heart...I also liked Dr Dobson's Bringing Up Boys (currently reading Bringing Up Girls), but found Ted Tripp's book to be more helpful! He has a new one out, written with his wife, called Instructing A Child's Heart ~ it
    s next on my list to read!
    Rachel (came across your blog on facebook!)

    ReplyDelete