Thursday, July 30, 2009

Snack Ideas

I typed up this list of healthy snack ideas to have on hand because my girls are always hungry and asking for a snack. From time to time I run out of ideas or feel like I don't know what to give them. I am okay with letting them snack, but I'm pretty particular about wanting it to be something healthy. My mom was also asking for snack ideas for my two nephews that she watches, so I was inspired to actually sit down and do this. Here's our list. Of course I've only included things that my girls like, feel free to give me more ideas in the comments, we may try something you suggest! (Most of these would also make good ingredients for Muffin Tin Mondays.)

apple - dip in peanut butter or yogurt for something different
banana
oranges
grapes
grapefruit
blueberries
strawberries
(any other fresh fruit we may have on hand)
frozen fruit
dried fruit (raisins, papaya, craisins)
applesauce
smoothie (see my post here)

lightly steamed veggies and ranch dip
avocado cut into chunks with garlic salt
tomato with seasoning salt or ranch
pickles

chips and salsa
chips and guacamole (avocado, salsa, splash of lemon juice, and garlic salt)
chips with shredded cheese melted on them
chips and hummus
tortilla with cheese and/or refried beans

yogurt (can include fruit or granola sprinkles)
cheese cubes, slices, or string cheese (cut cheese with cookie cutters, or let the kids cut their own shapes)
cottage cheese with fruit
deviled eggs
leftovers

crackers (with cheese, turkey, or peanut butter)
pretzels
graham crackers
cheerios
ducks (Meijer organic version of goldfish)
popcorn
toast with cinnamon sugar, peanut butter, or jelly
homemade bread with butter
zucchini or banana bread
muffins
granola
homemade granola bars (see my recipe here)
nuts

homemade popsicles (juice or yogurt)

Ok, lets hear your ideas. Help me add to this list!

5 comments:

  1. My kids also like to snack on edamame, pickles, and berries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We haven't tried the edamame yet. Do you steam it or serve it raw?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Christy, I just came over from the DS green board, and it's so funny, I just wrote a post about snacks the other day too... you can check it out and borrow from that if you like!
    livecompletely.blogspot.com

    Take care!

    (P.S. I'm going to have to check out the stamps you posted about too... darn you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christy, I know this is a very old blog post, but I wanted to comment on it because I was so happy to find it! I just found your blog, and I've been reading all morning :) I love that you post directions and recipes for things many people take for granted, like soaking beans or making popcorn on the stove. I would love to repost this blog post on my blog, ashleybcoombe.com. Let me know if that's okay! I want to keep your list on hand for ideas when I have none!

    I saw your announcement on your latest post, congrats! I look forward to reading more posts.

    Thanks!
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ashley, thanks for the compliments! Feel free to post it, just be sure to link back here to my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete